Hi, I hope you like my thoughts. If not, I hope they interest you enough to read them. And if not that, I'm flattered you're still reading my heading.

Superman and Lois

Superman and Lois

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What is "I"?

I am such a constantly self-reflective person. I am always thinking about that….I often feel that I don’t know who I am completely. I need to have a better idea of who I am, but I also don’t want to consider it to the point that I’m not thinking on anyone but myself. This has often, and lately, been my struggle. In truth, I have often shied away from introspection because it makes me feel haughty, but then again in avoiding it I continue to do it because I have loose ends left untied….

I don’t know, it can be easy to get hung up on ourselves almost indefinitely. It truly can. But on another side, I think it can be good to work through those things, because when we define ourselves fully before Him and others, we are then enabled to minister to others better. I guess I’m kind of dancing around one idea; without an identity, how can I help someone? Think about that statement “How can "I "help someone.” By saying “I,” “I” am implicitly making a reference point. I am saying “I”, the person defined as “me” is helping someone. Well, if “I” is an empty and hollow thing, an empty, baseless entity, then what does “I” have to offer to someone else? What even, does “I” have to offer to God? I think we need to be defined. God doesn’t define us in vacuous terms, and neither should we do so for ourselves. We need to be “us,” to be “me” and “I,” and *know* what that means. Yes, within the overall message of the biblical text there is a definition of “me” to be found. There’s one for me, you, for everyone. There’s one out there for every person. And yet, without tapping into that, without tapping in both to God, ourselves, and others to find what that “I” is, then there isn’t any “I” that we have to offer to a world so desperately in need of truer self identification. We say that the world is “lost.” Well what do we want them to find? "Them"selves in Christ. Well how can “they” be defined if “we” aren’t defined? How can “we” (the Church) be defined if “I’m” not defined? I don’t think we can.

So, I think I am fair to understand “me” better. I have come to that point now…even in writing this. Ha. So God, help me to be okay with knowing “me” so that “I” can better understand how to help others find “them”selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment