Hi, I hope you like my thoughts. If not, I hope they interest you enough to read them. And if not that, I'm flattered you're still reading my heading.

Superman and Lois

Superman and Lois

Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Heart of God

Isaiah 10:1-4a

1 Woe to those who make unjust laws,
to those who issue oppressive decrees,

2 to deprive the poor of their rights
and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people,
making widows their prey
and robbing the fatherless.

3 What will you do on the day of reckoning,
when disaster comes from afar?
To whom will you run for help?
Where will you leave your riches?

4 Nothing will remain but to cringe among the captives
or fall among the slain.

There are things that give us a better clue into the heart and mind of God. That's a profound thought, isn't it? To know the heart of God. That's a hard thing...an elusive thing, when you think about how dirty our hearts truly are. But in reading His word, I am given that picture. I am given an understanding of Him and how He thinks and acts.... And man...what a beautiful picture you get here in Isaiah 10.
But I'm gonna be honest, so often I find myself wondering: "Why am I reading the bible?"
And then this goes more specifically into "So what exactly do I believe about the bible?"
In reading these words...sometimes I have to stop, and think..."What...am I doing? What exactly...is going on here?"
But it's in moments like those that..what I'm thinking now, hits me: this is the heart of God. I am reading...Him.
I read His word because in it, I can find HIM. I can find...God. He's in there, because His Spirit, is imprinted upon the pages, inspired within those words for us to receive that same message, of His heart, today. So when I read, I don't want to fall into the trap I do so often, of essentially just skimming the pages, or even reading but reading without any true, connection to the text. I want to stop and think "What...is going on here?" And then know what it is:
God is showing me,
His heart.
And with that in mind, I really think this passage in Isaiah can sink in so much better. Can really...take root and show me:
God is about the oppressed.
The suffering.
And injustice. He cries out against the injustice of this world, even saying that the only place the enactors of injustice will go,
Is among the slain.

God is a just God. This is His heart. And I would have missed that,
Had I not stopped, and thought,
"Why am I reading this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment