Hi, I hope you like my thoughts. If not, I hope they interest you enough to read them. And if not that, I'm flattered you're still reading my heading.

Superman and Lois

Superman and Lois

Saturday, August 28, 2010

I love the fall

I love the fall.
I love the incoming of the cooler winds, the crisp touch of cooler air as the earth's rotation slowly becomes evident here, right where we are in the central US.
I suppose there are practical reasons for this. I'm not a hot weather kind of guy and I genuinely love the cooler climate. I've always thought I was meant to grow up in the north. And I've felt more confident in that when I can say that I'll take a 10 degree day over a 100 degree day every time.
But apart from what's practical, I think there's a nostalgic feel to the fall air for me as well.
As soon as that cold air begins to sweep in, my mind is instantly taken to long, cold walks around Lee University, spending an immense amount of quality time with Jesus. So many times, during the colder months of the school year, I had great times with Him around that beautiful campus. And I love that it seems no matter how much time passes, the feel of crisp cold air can bring those memories shooting back to the forefront of my mind. I know it's only been two years, but every fall while I was there previous years came soaring back, and now entering my second year away, the effect is the same.
There actually is a term for this in psychology, called a "reintegrative memory." This is when some sort of sensory input not only causes you to remember a certain memoory, but to feel the way you felt during the time of that memory.
And for whatever reason, my "reintegrative" moments seem much more frequent when the cooler months come creeping in.
So here's to many more cool evenings, now traipsing around Evangel's campus, letting God continue to let the sweet climate of this time of year bring many more happy autumn days into my ever increasing "nostalgic reservoir." :-)
Man, I love the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment