Hi, I hope you like my thoughts. If not, I hope they interest you enough to read them. And if not that, I'm flattered you're still reading my heading.

Superman and Lois

Superman and Lois

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy January 19th

Today is a good day :-). I think it's like fifty degrees and sunny outside. And that equals a smily day. Yes, I just said the word smily.
Also, though it probably sounds lame, after watching the movie 2012 last night, it made me a little more thankful for everything this morning. I mean, yes, it was a movie, but with the Haiti earthquake having just happened, in a weird sort of way it kind of hit home. Just to think that right now in Haiti, a whole lot of the anxious, fearful, desperate mentality that saturated that film are a reality. To think that right now there are literally thousands upon thousands of people dead, with their corresponding thousands of families mourning their passing. Or perhaps worse, the horrid unknown of having still not found his or her body. Disaster, quite simply, is a terrible thing.

But here I sit in comfy Springfield MO, a pretty sunny January day, having slept in my nice, comfy apartment and driven here in my nice car (by most standards ;-) ). Not only that, but here I am in class, being in a degree program to get a masters degree; something so many people in this world could hardly dream of the opportunity to accomplish. Truly, I would be a near shameful person to not be exceedingly grateful for the life that I'm living.

Also, perhaps one of the other things contributing to my thankfulness this morning is that I randomly fell upon a documentary of the 1918 flu pandemic last night. More specifically, it talked about the epidemic's effect in the united states. In total, the epidemic killed between 500-675,000 people in the US alone. And again, here I am in 2010, surrounded by medical advances that, as far as I could tell through some brief research, would not be nearly as overpowered by such an epidemic as they were then. I don't know, yesterday, for a few reasons, just kind of reminded me that I ought to be very grateful for my comfortable, happy life here in Springfield :-). And of course, there's that cute girl that I'm dating that makes me all the happier as well :-).

So happy January 19th everybody. It's a good day :-)

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I sometimes wonder how we spoiled Americans would handle a disaster compared to what's going on in Haiti. About a month ago, the power went out all over Eastern Ky where my parents live. They didn't have power for 10 days, some longer. Granted, they could still go to a restaurant for a hot meal, go to a neighbor or family member with power for a hot shower, and hospitals and available medical care had not been affected. So except for the real need of finding some sort of heat source, this really wasn't an emergency situation, but a major inconvenience by our standards. However, people were starting to panic and were really depressed. And hey, I'm not judging...I'd be pretty freaked out too. But all this to say that we DO have it soooo good, even when things seem pretty bad. like you said...

    ReplyDelete