Hi, I hope you like my thoughts. If not, I hope they interest you enough to read them. And if not that, I'm flattered you're still reading my heading.

Superman and Lois

Superman and Lois

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How to be an evangelist (in my humble opinion)

I want to be an evangelist for Christ. But I'll be plainly honest; I've felt, for so long, very unsure as to how to go about doing that. Really, the simple explanation for this confusion were the years I spent in youth group hearing the message of "EVANGELIZE TO EVERYONE NOW OR THEY'LL ALL DIE AND GO TO HELL!!"
Now, I'm not saying that there's not some merit to an urgency when it comes to winning the lost. Because, yes, the real truth is that there are plenty of people who need the gospel, and if we fail to bring it to them, they may very well end up in hell.
However, perhaps my main grievance with this viewpoint so often dominant in the modern day, American church setting, is that it seems far too man, and not Spirit, based. Allow me to explain:

Evangelism is a Spiritual endeavor. Quite simply, the very thing we know as "evangelism" hinges the entirety of its existence upon the outpouring of the Spirit in Acts 2. We wouldn't even know this concept known as "evangelizing" were it not for the empowerment of the Spirit in that chapter. Furthermore, if one takes the time to read the early history of the church as relayed in this book, they will find one overriding theme: Spirit based/guided proclamation of the gospel. Throughout the book, you will find stories of the apostles and early church praying about the Spirit's direction when it came to the placement of missionaries (Acts 13, Paul and Barnabas to the Gentiles) and really just the general direction of the gospel's proclamation as a whole(Acts 16:6-10). Anyways, the point being that evangelism's root definition is found in an approach that is highly sensitive to the Spirit's direction when one preaches, ministers, etc.

Okay, but of course the question is, "Are you saying contemporary American Christianity doesn't portray it that way?" Well, more or less, yes I am. However, the first thing I should say is that I am not one make a blanket statement, so I'm sure this isn't the case everywhere. However, I do think it is a problem, and here's what I mean:
When a message goes out that essentially says "in a perfect world, you would be winning the lost at almost every conscious second of your life" it seems pretty inevitable that people will begin to seek out ways on their own to go about doing that. Essentially, the main implication of this means of preaching evangelism is that it is up to you to reach them. You need to be preaching. You need to take every opportunity in front of you, preach to all that you can, minister to all that you can, you need to take that burden and do all you can to reach the lost. In other words, the focus is on you; God has given you His word, now go and preach it to everyone you can find. Of course, this doesn't seem all bad, but when you really look at it, does this really look like the early churches approach? I don't think so.

To give an example, if I'm under the more "you" based persuasion, when I go to witness to people, I will be choosing to do so myself and really take it upon myself to get through to the lost. Thus, I may go up to some random guy at the story, or wherever, and begin thinking of whatever persuasive words I can to try and convert or spiritually help this person. But perhaps more importantly, I would be doing this almost every second of every day, if I were truly a devoted evangelist!
But on the other hand, if I am following the example that I believe was set in Acts, I would be seeking the Spirit, and not myself, for the entirety of my day to day evangelistic life. I would be in constant prayer about God opening the doors, presenting opportunities, and giving me the words to say. To give some pretty blunt scriptural substantiation for this, look at Paul's words in Colossians 4:3 and 5: And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ... Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.

In other words, it seems to me that Paul had a pretty clear understanding of the Spirit's guidance and direction when it came to witnessing; He opened the doors, He made the opportunities, and it is simply up to us to be available. And with that, we come to what I think is the key word to being an effective evangelist: availability.
Because the truth is, no one wants to reach the lost more than God (1 Tim 2:4, 2 Pet. 3:9) I mean, He died on a cross for them for crying out loud! And though this may seem rather rudimentary, when you really think about it, a really man based approach to evangelism kind of takes this for granted. That is, in thinking that I've got to reach them (for fear of their eternal destination), am I not depending on myself and not God? To put it another way, does it not show a lack of faith in God when we're ruled by fear both of we're they're going, and the price we'll pay, for not reaching them? Essentially, we take it on ourselves, and forget that no one is more desperate to reach them than Him, that we just need to get on His "Holy Spirit bandwagon" and stop trying to knock it over and push our own. So ultmately, I believe that all He wants are those who are available and sensitive to His Spirit, when it comes to evangelizing.
So what does that look like, you ask? Well, in my opinion probably something like this:

Praying every morning that God attunes your ears to who He is reaching. That he shows you the doors that he is opening, and not that you're trying to force open.
Praying over passages like Colossians 4:3 and 5, or also Acts 16:6-10, where it says that the Spirit prevented Paul and Luke from going to Asia, later calling them to Macedonia, which clearly show that the Spirit has foreknowledge as to who he wants you specifically, to reach.
And ultimately, I think having this as a priority every day will open things up to you. I think God may give you words, or clues, or generally just a greater sensitivity, to who He's reaching in the world around you. And then knowing that you're available, I believe He'll show you what to do or say, and how to do or say it. That it will be His Spirit working through you, and not your desperate, fear based tactics of hoping "they all don't die and go to hell because of me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment