Hi, I hope you like my thoughts. If not, I hope they interest you enough to read them. And if not that, I'm flattered you're still reading my heading.

Superman and Lois

Superman and Lois

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Prayer

Intimacy is about listening. Truly, about listening. Yes we have to engage, but I think so often we forget that in order to be intimate, we have to soak up the other person. We have to enjoy them, just because they're there, and we can't do that if we're so focused on ourselves that we don't give them a moment to speak: if we don't stop one moment and listen.
And yet I so often find myself having this problem in my time with God. I forget that He's there, and He wants to spend time with me, honestly, much more than I could ever want to spend time with Him. Yet, so often...I never stop and let Him spend time with me. It's always about my time with Him.
Sometimes we just need to sit back,
And listen.

And it's not just about Him speaking to you, in some direct, audible sense. It' just about...letting Him be there. His presence, is sufficient. I know that sounds basic, but man, so often that I miss that. That I miss that it's just about....letting Him be there, and to stop trying to ask Him for things. To stop trying to seek Him for things, to stop consuming my thoughts with how I can come to Him, but sit back and let Him come to me. So much of this life, I think, is about communion with God. Well, I suppose it all is at its root, but the reality is that that deep, intimate communion cannot be engaged in 24/7. It's only when we take the time to go to our prayer closet, and truly seek Him, and then let Him be found, that we have that. It's the only time that I have it, and sadly I realize how often I'm engaged in that time only allowing it to be all about me, and not Him.
My prayer is that I can learn to fix that.

1 comment:

  1. Listening to God is something I've always had a hard time with... because it is sort of an amorphous concept, as well as something that requires patience and quiet - two things which my personality is not particularly full of. I'm working on it though as well, and this post is a nice reminder. Thanks! =D

    ReplyDelete